I have been wanting new nightstands with more drawer space for quite some time. My old ones were super cute little night tables that I found at the Pottery Barn Outlet but they had just one teeny tiny drawer and I tend to hoard more junk than they could comfortably hold…..so more drawer space was needed!
Of course I went to Pinterest and it sent me to my very favorite super mega store….IKEA!!!!! Can you hear the angels singing???? I mean really….any excuse to make a trip to Ikea!
I found several nightstand hacks using the Rast dressers which are only $35 each….seriously!!!!! This project was clearly meant to be. Look at all that drawer space…..I am going to have to hoard more stuff just to fill them all!!! LOL
Here are a few of my Pinsperations…….
| One | Two | Three | Four |
After my trip to Meca….I mean Ikea I put the Hubs to work. First he put them together…
Its pretty Plain Jane like this and practically screams out to be fixed up a bit….or a lot!!!
Then he started adding the requested modifications to make them beautiful……
I wanted all of the drawers and the sides trimmed with lattice. The base needed to be wrapped in 1 x 4’s and I wanted the top to be a bit more substantial so he made a new top with some leftover MDF from the dining room banquette project and added some 1 x 2 trim from the same project. The new top just fit right over the original one.
Then I filled the nail holes with wood putty and gave them a good sanding all over to smooth everything out a bit. I followed this with 2 coats of Chalkworthy paint. It is a bit pricey to say the least. I went with this paint based on the recommendation of another blogger and while I liked it I think I would have been equally happy with some leftover paint I had from painting the banquette and it would have been a lot less expensive. I finished it off with a coat of wax. Sadly…..when I painted the top I didn’t wait long enough for the wood putty to dry so I ended up with lots of crackling along many of the seams. While I am a staunch supporter of a good crackle finish, it just wasn’t the look I was going for on this particular project and it was really uneven as well. Originally I would have loved to cover the entire dresser with mirror, but the Hubs shot that down declaring that he thought it would look tacky….UGH…men! Since the tops weren’t turning out the way I wanted I used this as the perfect way to get some mirror into this project by having some mirrors we had in the garage cut to size to sit on the top. Like magic…..the tops are great and I got some mirrors in this project. Even the Hubs had to admit that the mirrors really look great!! HA……I love it when I am right!! Here is mine in all its glory….
I picked up some glass knobs from Hobby Lobby when they were on sale for 1/2 off so they were about $2 each. I love how they add a little sparkle to the front of the drawers. Here is a look at the mirrored top….
I also had the Hubs add a rack to the side of mine like the picture of the coral pinsperation above to hold my tablet. I use it a lot at night when I am in there watching TV so it was the perfect spot for it. It is handy, but not taking up a bunch of space on top of my nightstand.
Most of what we used to embellish these dresser were scraps we had on hand with the exception of the lattice that I bought for the fronts of the drawers and the sides. It was fairly inexpensive though. I think in total I have about $150 total invested in both nightstands including the cost of having the mirrors cut for the top. Not too bad for the pair. Had I just gone out and bought something similar I am sure I would have spent at least twice as much if not more…….and I wouldn’t have had this great little post to share with you!! 🙂
This project took longer than I had expected….as always…and was frustrating at times….as always! I am so glad we did it though. I love my new nightstands and I love how much we saved by doing them ourselves!! Three cheers for an Ikea Hack!!!
Have a Great One All!!