August 1st???? Seriously….already!!??!! If anyone sees my summer laying around please return it to me….I feel like I lost part of it because it has gone so darn fast. I know….nobody wants to listen to a teacher whine about how fast summer goes by each year!! #teacherproblems
I hate to admit it, but I have started thinking about the new school year and got to work a couple of weeks ago already. I try not to until August usually, but with coaching cheer and starting back earlier this year it is best to get a head start on it. I have already put together several things here….
Every year I try to improve on something from the year before and this year I am going to try to make a more concerted effort to use Anchor Charts. I don’t have very much wall space in my room because I have tons of cabinets and windows. I am NOT complaining about all my cabinets and windows….simply stating that there isn’t much wall space left over. Now I could certainly do a better job using my limited wall space in a more educational manner, but I also really like things to look cute so sometimes that wins out….okay MOST of the time that wins out. This was going to make using Anchor Charts a little more challenging so I needed a plan to display them. There are some that I will display all year and I plant to hang those on the upper part of my windows, but for those that I only need up during specific units I decided to go with a chart stand. If you have ever priced those babies at the teaching supply companies you know how expensive they are. Well that just wasn’t going to happen in my world so of course Pinterest showed me the way! I found some Pinsperation here….
I am sure you know what happened next…..a trip to Lowes. I decided to make 2 different size chart stands…one for big charts and a table top chart stand. I bought 2 different sizes of PVC….1/2″ for the small one and 3/4″ for the big one.
Here is what I bought….
1 Piece of 1/2″ PVC ($2.99)
2-1/2″ T-Connectors ($0.98)
6-1/2″ Elbow Connectors ($1.68)
3 Pieces of 3/4″ PVC ($10.47)
4-3/4″ T-Connectors ($2.36)
6-3/4″ Elbow Connectors ($3.54)
PVC Pipe Cutter ($11.04)
Black Glossy Spray Paint ($2.79)
Total Cost for both stands: $35.85
I started by determining the size for each of my stands. The small one is 12″ high and 12″ wide. The large one is 30″ wide and 60″ high. I measured all of the pieces I needed and cut them. The PVC cutter is really easy to use…it just takes a bit of time. They had others that probably would have been faster but they were about $50 and I again…that wasn’t happening in my world.
Here is my list of cuts for the 1/2 ” PVC:
5-1′ long 1 for the top, 2 for the sides, 2 for the base)
4-3″ long (for the sides of the base)
Here is the list of cuts for the 3/4″ PVC:
4-3-” long (2 for the base, 1 for the top, 1 for support in the middle)
2-40″ long (for the upper part of the sides)
2-10″ long (for the lower part of the sides)
4-6.5″ long (for the sides of the base)
Once everything was cut I gave it all a couple of coats of glossy black spray paint. Make sure you get the kind that works on plastic. Give it plenty of time to dry before you try to assemble it. You could probably assemble it first and then paint it but it probably wouldn’t come apart after that. I guess it just depends on if you want to be able to take it apart later or not. I drive a really small car so I knew I needed to take it to school in pieces so I painted first. The Hubs helped me out by putting a handful of screws part of the way into a saw horse so I could stand the pieces up to paint them….he is so smart!!! I just slid the pieces over one of the screws, painted them and left them there to dry.
At school I put the pieces together. I used a rubber mallet to help with a couple of pieces that were a little more snug because of the paint. Here she is…..
The smaller one is in my top row of pics. I am going to use it to hang my lesson plans from. I don’t use a lesson plan book, but rather an online program called planbook.com which I love. It keeps all of the my plans from the previous year and allows me to just roll them over to the next year which makes planning so much easier. I still makes lots of changes of course, but it is nice to have a place to start. The program also allows me to make my lesson plans and handouts available to my students and their families online. This is really handy when someone is absent. They can see what we did that day and print the handouts from home.
Anyway….back to my point about hanging my lesson plans. Because my plans are online I print them each week and stick them in a sheet protector on my desk for my own reference and in the event that I am absent…it is easier for a sub to find them that way. There is already so much other stuff floating around on my desk that I decided that hanging them from a stand would be one way to prevent them from getting lost….not that I ever lose anything! The base of the stand turned out a bit bigger than I had pictured it in my head…go figure…so the jury is still out on it. Once school gets started I’ll let you know if it’s too cumbersome.
Enjoy the rest of your summer…it is slipping away FAST!!!!
Have a Great One!!